Öppna kartan i helskärm

Liepa Large Ellīte's Cave with the Spring (Liepas Lielā Ellīte)

Andra hänvisningar till den plats
In the centre of Liepa, behind the monument to the Latvian and

Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (3)

Estonian soldiers who perished during the Cēsis Battle.
lat=57.384329046653, lon=25.427101065342
57° 23' 3" N, 25° 25' 37" E

State archaeological heritage (State Inspection for Heritage Protection, No 848). It is a geological and geomorphological object under protection. Located within the territory of the Gauja National Park, an object of Natura2000. One of the most peculiar devonian sandstones in Latvia. It is also called the Devil's Kiln (Velna ceplis), Devil's Oven (Velna krāsns), Devil's Cave, Liepmuiža's Cave, one of the oldest tourism objects in Latvia. The main Ellīte cave is 1 m long, up to 5 m wide and 4 m heig. The total length of the cave is 23 m. A spring flows out of it. There is an opinion that the cave is 7000 years old (National Library of Latvia, 2012). After collapse of the Sietiņiezis Archway, the arcade of the Large Ellīte has remained the only natural sandstone formation of such a form in Latvia. The cave together with the spring are an important sacred site, the object has been very popular since ancient times (Latvian Tourism Development Agency, 2012). The cave was mentioned for the first time in 1791. In the 20s of the 20th century, people were taking sand in carts from the cave for household needs, thus destroying the former looks of the cave. In the publication "Mājas Viesis" of January 13, 1864, there was news published that the cave was visited by people from Estonia who found there inscriptions dating back as far as 1500 (www.alas.lv, 2009). Nearby is the Lodes clay-pits, Little Ellīte, Līči-Laņģi Cliffs, Bezdibenis Spring and the Large Cave, Grīviņas Mill, Grīviņas Spring, Gāršas Ancient Burial Ground.


"In the Liepa Parish the Ellīte used to be the Devil's dwelling. You could see there people with rooster's, cow's and horse's legs. They also say that there used to live plunderers who frightened people in various ways - with horns, large ears and otherwise by undressing so that people would not go there. In the Chambers plunderers used to live.” (S. Laime, 2009) "At the Liepa manor house near Cēsis there is a large cave called the Devil's Kiln. And in that cave devils lived. Devils dressed up as humans and approached travellers, bought cattle, linen and other things from them, everything they were taking to the town. Devils paid good money. But as soon as those people came home with the money given by devils, the money turned into coal.” (Laime, 2009)

The object is maintained. The territory is facilitated. Visually the cave is impressive both due to its dimensions and its form. Nearby is a monument to Estonian and Latvian soldiers.
The object is easily accessible, it can be reached both from the monument's side by going down the path and from the parking lot that has been arranged a little further. At a distance of 1 km behind the level crossing, at the turning to Cēsis, there is a sign of the Gauja National Park.
Infrastruktur, ledning, lokaler
The object is facilitated and maintained. At the parking lot there is a wooden fence that allows sightseeing the cave from above. A paved road leads down to the cave, there are also earthen paths. At the cave there is a bridge to cross the spring.
Lokal information
At the parking lot there is an information stand with a map of Liepa, information about the origin o
41 och flera
Rättslig ställning
State property

Lägg till kommentar


Material on the website reflects the authors views and the Managing Authority cannot be held liable for the information published by the project partners.
Materiāli mājas lapā atspoguļo autoru uzskatus, un Vadošā Iestāde nevar tikt saukta pie atbildības par projekta partneru publicēto informāciju.