Open map in fullscreen

Big (Devil's) Stone (Lielais (Velna) akmens)

Location
State:
Latvia
Region:
Riga
County:
Krimuldas
Parish:
Krimuldas
Other references to the location
On the right bank of the Gauja River at the very beach at a spring mouth crossed by a small bridge
Coordinates
lat=57.1511111111, lon=24.7641666667
57° 9' 3" N, 24° 45' 51" E
Description

The Big (Devil’s) Stone lies on the right bank of the Gauja River at the very beach near the mouth of a brook crossed by a small bridge. The height of the stone is from 1.1 to 2.5 metres, length 5.3 metres, width 3.7 metres. It is mainly composed of reddish pegmatite with raw crystallic granite inclusions. The Big Stone once used to lie on the very bank of the Gauja River. It was also called Runtiņš Spring Stone because a rapid spring is starting here. Nearby in ancient times there used to be a raft wharf. An iron loop cemented in a raftsmen’s anchor block has been preserved. The stone is big, monolith, covered with moss, however, no artificial signs or cavities can be found in the stone. In the vicinity of the stone there are several other small stones. Judging by the name and

Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (12)

legend the Devil’s Stone can be considered a shrine with a mythological significance.

Narrative

Once in Sigulda at the Gauja River the Devil was carrying stones wishing to dam the rafters’ way. All of a sudden a rooster sang and the shirt were the Devil was carrying stones was torn and the stones fell into the Gauja. There are still big stones in the Gauja River near to its bank. LFK, 1860, 4654, FI IV scientific expedition, narrator A. Irbīte, 65 years old, 1950.

Attraction
Attractive
Availability
Easily accessible, along the path from the parking lot.
Infrastructure, management, facilities
Well-arranged and tended place, access by a country road, parking lot at the old cemetary and a facilitated recreation place on the bank of the Gauja River.
Local info
There is
Capacity
41 and more
Publicity
Known
Legal Status
Property of State
Comments
The stone has been included in the Pārgauja path and there are several indications and descriptions of it in various places. There is an information plate at the stone. The stone can be accessed by following a marked path along the Gauja River or by walking down from the path/small road from the New Cemetery of Krimulda, i.e., from the brink of the primeval hollow of the Gauja River. Downwards from the Devil’s Stone on the right bank of the Gauja River there is a well-arranged recreation place with a place for making fire, wooden log table and bench. The territory of the Gauja National Park.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh


Material on the website reflects the authors views and the Managing Authority cannot be held liable for the information published by the project partners.
Materiāli mājas lapā atspoguļo autoru uzskatus, un Vadošā Iestāde nevar tikt saukta pie atbildības par projekta partneru publicēto informāciju.